Skip to main content

Your Feedback

By August 22, 2021Uncategorised

The success of UNSEEN is due to the participants, advocates, sponsors and volunteers who have enabled this project to come to life. A huge thank you to the public who come forward to listen and share the stories of the women from the project. Everyone is invited to provide feedback on the project as this will help us develop the project further.

Belinda Mason, UNSEEN

10 Comments

• Denise says:

A very powerful art installation!

• Alex says:

I couldn’t believe it – in a ‘lucky’, ‘wealthy country like Australia, there are so many UNSEEN homeless women, women and children – destitute. And I am one of them.

• Dr Sonya Pearce says:

Unseen, Unsilenced, Unheard we are fighting for the right to be heard.
    Homeless, carrying pain with the meagre few belongings left in this world. awash by sadness, tears, hopes and small joys.

Unseen, unhoused and unloved. Heartache, disappointment and misery my only companions as I journey endlessly in these crowded busy streets empty of kindness ad compassion. I am unseen broken and alone dreaming dreams of a safe home.

Unseen, unsilenced unheard, I bring you my spoke work that I will fight for you and with you. I will pull the curtains back from your eyes that have grown blind from their own ignorance, prejudice and fear.

Unseen, unspoken, unheard we are all the Unseen of this world.

I dedicate this poem to all my Unseen homeless women

• Veronica says:

My main takeaway is how I felt being a part of UNSEEN helped me be more aware of my identity and how much I’ve changed for the better…I got a new positive view of my experience, myself as a stronger and better person…that happens for me having a one to one interview with Belinda…I was able to express myself in a deeper way.

• Susan says:

Participating in UNSEEN gave me a chance to have my story heard

• Evie says:

As a woman who has experienced multiple generations of violence, I haven’t felt seen often in my life. I am often overlooked by the systems that don’t grant me the freedom and justice I deserve.

Being able to tell my story, learning to use my voice and being photographed in the unseen exhibition has made me feel like my story is important, valued and integral to a safer world for women.

I feel important.
    I feel seen.
    I feel known

• Jai says:

Women are not seen or represented as often as men, in conversation about homelessness. The Unseen Project has given a platform to speak about the issues that affect us. Safety is a big one and it can be a big step to speak up. Connecting with all ages of the public has shown that I am not alone, my story matters and I deserve to be heard. Being amongst a group of women who support me in telling my story is so empowering and validating. And having a creative medium to do this breaks down the barriers and anxiety that words and text can bring. I’ve been able to connect with myself, connect with some of my past and let it go. It’s part of my healing journey.

• Peta says:

Participating in UNSEEN was very emotional to begin with, the process of painting my artwork opened old wounds; but on the same token it allowed me to speak my truth, which is very empowering, knowing that I have survived to tell our story

• Victoria says:

I came to the project as a volunteer. I didn’t realise all the hard times I struggled through when I was younger could be acknowledged and recognised. People came to talk about experiences they had had and also probably had not been able to speak about comfortably – with a stranger! They told their stories too. Or just gave encouragement.

• Roshee says:

It’s incredibly urgent NOW to speak up and raise awareness about the UNSEEN!
    The women and children experiencing or have experienced homelessness.

The stigma needs to change.

AWARENESS

Having a mobile pop up multimedia art installation where the public can meet the participants and view the different exhibits on display is both beneficial for the UNSEEN participants and the public because it allows a safe friendly space to be able to educate and converse with people.

AWARENESS

45000 women over the age of 55 in NSW are currently homeless mainly due to circumstances beyond their control.
    Throw a virus in to the mix and the situation turns cyclonic.

AWARENESS

Mental health issues are evident with homelessness.
    The shame
    The pain
    Depression
    Anxiety
    Isolating
    Hiding
    Etc

These could manifest in to chronic medical conditions.
    I have been affected with mental health issues most of my life.
    It’s FUCKED!

AWARENESS

When I was homeless, I stayed at my children’s fathers home for a few weeks.
    And then I slept in my daughter’s car,
    Stayed in youth hostels, slept in the back of the office at work, then transitional housing.
    Now I have permanent social housing.

AWARENESS

Sydney real estate is not affordable.
    Rental prices are outrageous.
    Women *(55) are slipping through the cracks!

AWARENESS

Much much more HAS to be done!
    This CRISIS is happening, it’s happening NOW!

Who knows one day you too could be homeless and UNSEEN!

AWARENESS