Centenary Square, Parramatta
Between 24-27 November 2022, the UNSEEN Arts Hub was back on the streets of Greater Sydney – this time out in the Western Suburbs! We had an intriguing and varied program of artists, artworks, installations, workshops and events which unfolded over four days and three evenings in Centenary Square, Church Street Parramatta.
The UNSEEN Arts Hub is led by women representing the diversity of women who find themselves unexpectedly experiencing homelessness. This activation of the UNSEEN Arts Hub took place during the ’16 Days of Activism against Gender-Based Violence’ and was supported by a City of Parramatta Community Grant, Bonnie Support Services, Museum of Understanding Through Tolerance and Inclusion and Western Sydney University.
DAILY ACTIVITIES AT THE UNSEEN ARTS HUB
- Fiona’s interactive installation “Walk a mile in my shoes”. Donate your shoes and share your story in this powerful installation
- Master Gilder Sera, was Artist in Residence, showcasing her creative skills in gilding and multi-media art
- Aunty Peta Link’s mixed media paintings and award-winning Spirit Women were exhibited in the Tiny House Gallery Window
- Bonnie Support Services’ display of art created by women who identify as culturally and linguistically diverse, also in the Gallery Window
SHINING A LIGHT ON WOMEN’S HIDDEN HOMELESSNESS!
Exciting News! Thanks to the great work of John from John A Dent and Chris from Code Green, the UNSEEN Tiny House is now a sustainable solar energy power house! Rooftop solar panels have now been installed on the Tiny House along with reflective stripping and (many!) fairy lights and were put to great use during the 4 days and 3 nights of the Parramatta activation.
During the day the solar panels powered our laptops, phone chargers and fans. Of an evening our green power turned the Tiny House into an amazing light show that beamed out across Centenary Square drawing curious evening passers-by to come over and speak with us about women’s hidden homelessness and gender-based violence.
And no site power charges and no fossil fuels! UNSEEN goes green!
SPECIAL EVENTS AT THE UNSEEN ARTS HUB
Thursday 24 November 2022
- 6:00pm – 8:00pm Advocate Jai hosted a poetry slam competition
Friday 25 November 2022
- 6:00pm – 8:00pm An event was held showcasing embroidered cushion art, reflecting stories from the ‘What home means to me’ workshop for women from Culturally and Linguistically Diverse communities
Saturday 26 November 2022
- 10:00am – 5:00pm Aunty Jacqui Jarrett from Nura Yoga presented Trauma Informed Yoga sessions along with a collaborative Weaving Circle with Jennah Dungay
- 6:00pm – 8:00pm Breaking Silent Codes event hosted by Aunty Dixie Link Gordon.
As part of the Breaking Silent Codes event for the ’16 Days of Activism Against Gender-based Violence’ the UNSEEN women went out on Saturday evening amongst the passers-by on Centenary Square to hand out free battery-operated lighted roses and tell people about the 16 Days campaign. Many young children were delighted! Many people heard about the 16 Days of Activism – often for the first time.
Sunday 27 November 2022
- 10:00am – 3:00pm Homelessness Advocate Gina’s millinery workshop shared stories of belonging through creative expression.
- 10:00am – 3:00pm Artist Market – Arts and crafts created by the women artists and workshop participants were on sale.
A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL THE SUPPORTERS OF UNSEEN ARTS HUB @ PARRAMATTA
- City of Parramatta
- Bonnie Support Services
- Museum of Understanding Through Tolerance and Inclusion
- Western Sydney University
- Aunty Dixie Link Gordon and Breaking Silent Codes
- Aunty Cino and the Garabara Dance Group for their Welcome performance
- Dieter from Knierim Productions for Filming and Social Media Management
- John from John A Dent P/L for towing the Tiny House to and from site
- Chris from Code Green for maintenance of the Tiny House and car
- Lyn from Blowup Imaging for the new transparencies on the windows of the Tiny House and Car
- Avery Dennison for supplying the chrome reflective wrap for the Tiny House and Car
- Marwan from Autoskin for application of the chrome wrap
- American Shingles for repairs and alterations to the roof of the Tiny House.
- All our wonderful volunteers over the 4 days and 3 evenings
- And of course, all the amazing UNSEEN Women artists without whose passion, commitment and creativity none of this would be possible.
Belinda Mason Knierim OAM
Creative Director, Blur Projects
Chairperson, Museum of Understanding Through Tolerance and Inclusion